Welcome to the village of Oconto. Quietly located in Custer County, Nebraska, the population was 151 at the 2010 census and sits 25 miles north of Lexington and Interstate 80 on State Highways 21 & 40.
The community was founded in 1887, but was originally called “Olax.” The current name was adopted because “Olax” conflicted with another Nebraska location. The Village of Oconto was established following a generous donation of land from Wallace Higgby. The village, once known for its many windmills, was nicknamed “The Windmill Town” by the local people. The name Oconto came from the Menominee Indian word meaning “place of the picerel”.
A small area on the west side of town is home to the Oconto Sculpture Garden. A variety of larger than life metal sculptures, from eels to buffalo, they were created from junk and scrap parts by local artist, Charles Horn.
Web sites to visit: